Live Well for Less
Our living the luxe life on a budget reporter Ashley Faulkner with more cost cutting hacks.
25 April 2023
How do you live well for less? These days it seems like whatever you do, it seems to come with a cost. Theme parks are way too overpriced, going out for a drink or two ends up with you and your bank account being sorry the next morning. So how do we have fun for less?
As a student, money can be tight, and when you run out of money, you tend to think you’ve run out of things to do. But there are plenty of ways to have fun without breaking the bank. Here are my ways to enjoy your free time while enjoying your financial freedom.
- Look for free events: Check out local events and festivals that are free to attend. You can often find free concerts, art shows, and other cultural events that are both fun and free.
- Take advantage of student discounts: Many museums, movies, and laser tag venues offer discounts to students. Bring your student ID with you to take advantage of these discounts you didn’t even know you had.
- Host a movie night! Instead of going out to the movies, invite friends over for a movie night. With an endless amount of movies to stream, there’s no excuse. The only thing you have to buy are the snacks.
- Organize a game night: Board games and card games are often overlooked as boring. But when life is stressful sometimes all you need is a simple way to take your mind off things. Plus it’s free.
- Go to your local pool. It’s a great way to be active and is usually only a few dollars for entry and a great way to relax in the spa or get some laps in.
- Explore New Zealand’s backyard: Nature is free, and there are plenty of places to be and things to see. Take a hike, go for a bike ride, or have a picnic in the park. Not only is it a fun way to spend time, but it's also good for your overall health.
- Get creative: If you're feeling crafty, there are plenty of DIY projects you can do that are affordable. A popular among my friends is crochet. It is easy to follow and a great way to take the stress off after a big day. Plus that’s another scarf you don’t need to buy this upcoming winter
By following these tips, you can have fun and save money at the same time. Don't let a tight budget keep you from enjoying your time as a student. With a little creativity and resourcefulness, you can have a great time without spending much money.
Informed Investor's content comes from sources that Informed Investor magazine considers accurate, but we do not guarantee its accuracy. Charts in Informed Investor are visually indicative, not exact. The content of Informed Investor is intended as general information only, and you use it at your own risk.